Saturday, June 9, 2012

112) Learn Lessons - Lending a helping hand


After the verb 'to love', 'to help' is the most beautiful verb in the world.  Bertha Von Suttner

We arrived from Sydney at Changi Airport, Singapore, With some difficulty I lifted off the belt one suitcase weighing 32 kilos. Suddenly, a young man arrived at my side and placed the heavy suitcase on the trolley. He also picked up our small bag off the belt and put it on the trolley. I had not seen this young man before. From his conduct I could tell that he just wanted to help a stranger. I was edified, even as I thanked him profusely.

How is it with us? Do we reach out to strangers? To those who need help, but do not ask for it? When we are blinkered in our view and see only what concerns us, we will miss opportunities to lend a helping hand. On the contrary, when we are all-embracing and willing to reach out to those in trouble, our children will learn from us and offer to help teachers, classmates, friends and us at home. The fabric is only as good as the thread that goes into the weave. Likewise, the family is only as good as the values that bind it.


No comments:

Post a Comment